Sunday, February 27, 2011

Lake Tomiko - Snowshoe Hike

I'm behind in my blogging.  That's not a good thing.  Not a bad thing either, but the point of writing a blog is to get it out there.  So I'm writing three posts this morning--before breakfast.

On Feb 27 Chris Beatty called early in the morning--looking for adventure.  "You up for a hike?"  I surveyed the family--everyone was still sleeping--so I was clear to go.

Without a map or much planning we headed up to Lake Tomiko.  This is adventure based on the Nike slogan--"Just do it."

This was a short hike because we both had to be back to spend time with family on a Sunday afternoon.  Point A is the starting point.  We headed roughly west across, what appeared to be a lake, but the topo shows that it is a swampy area.  I broke through the ice into the mud near the shore.  You could smell the decaying muck.  It was -23 on a bright winter day and the smell was out of place.

The snow had a thick crust on the surface and it made walking difficult.  At some point a strap on my left snow shoe snapped.  I think it was due to the repeated breaking through of the snow.

We hiked across the swamp and climbed to the high point in the area, which was the railroad bed.  The climb up was about twenty feet at probably 65 degrees. It was like climbing a ladder,

A nice short hike.  Very enjoyable.






"Sometimes you find yourself in the middle of nowhere, and sometimes, in the middle of nowhere, you find yourself."   (anonymous)

No comments:

Post a Comment