Sunday, March 24, 2013

Last Snowshoe Hike

The weather has been beautiful and the snow conditions rapidly deteriorating for snowshoeing but great for gardening.   With those conditions in mind I called up Steve Glass and together we hiked along the ravine where the Duschesnay flows into Lake Nipissing.

This is one of my favourite, quick-to-get-to hikes.  It is in the city limits and once you get your shoes on the beautiful scenary is only 20 metres away.
Normally on this hike I like to head north along the western shore and cross the frozen beaver dam, but the mild  weather made this too risky.  The water was flowing fast and crossing the dam would have meant risking a plunge into the still icy water.


On the deep water side of the dam, where I had once broken through while on an hike with my son John, I noticed an open hole--and a slide.  Seems a beaver was climbing out and sliding back down--for fun.
It's always great to get outside.

No comments:

Post a Comment