Saturday, October 1, 2011

Pimisi to Champlain

I sometimes think that the sole purpose of the weatherman is to keep us glued to the tv set so we watch advertisements.  If there is nothing funky happening in the weather, he'll remind you of what allergy symptoms you should be having.  Yesterday was a good example.

The weather was to be cold and windy.  It was--initially.

I'm fortunate to be able to team-teach the Outdoor Education course at Nipissing University with my friends Bill Steer and Laura Kielpinski.  Today was the day to take our students down the Mattawa River.

The day started off with a strong cold wind that forced us back into the parking lot away from the lake.  One of the students pointed out that a few people were voicing concerns about the trip.  That was important.  We needed to talk further as a group.  Get it out there about what are the risks.  Be ready.  Everyone fought their way around the first point.  For some it was a difficult struggle.  I'm sure their muscles were aching.  We could have had a dump in the first 5 minutes of the trip.  Not a tragic end to the trip--but an uncomfortable one.  Lots to learn either way.

The paddle up to Talon Chutes is my favourite tiny little paddle route.  Twenty-five minutes of heaven.  It is a place I have been to many times.  I never get tired of it.  I was amazed at how well everyone caught on or remembered how to keep a canoe going straight.  Well done everyone!

This route has several portages.  Sometimes when the water is running high you can shoot some of them and save yourself the trouble of a portage.  For such a large group (32 people), we rocked the Casbah on the portages.




Pariseau Falls is a beautiful half-way point to have lunch and enjoy the view and sound of the falls.  In the summer it is a fine place to cool off with a swim.  I remember years ago snorkeling up near the falls with my good friends.





The creek that flows out on Elm Point marks the spot where you can join the trail that runs along the north side of the river.  Bill led us to a special spot--just off the trail.  Few people know of this spot.  A special place for me as I said a prayer for my good friend Bernie Zweerman and his family.  Thank you for sharing in that moment.  The wind stopped.

Day-trips are great ways to get students out of the classroom and into Mother Nature.  Where the learning is constant, deep, and memorable.

While waiting to pull my boat out I couldn't resist taking this shot of my bent-shaft paddle.  Lots to say about this paddle and none of it has anything to do with paddling.  It's a metaphor--two-beer story for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment