Sunday, August 14, 2011

Project Dare -- 40th Anniversary

This weekend Wendigo Lake Expeditions (http://wendigolake.com), who run the program Project Dare, celebrated their 40th anniversary.  I got the invite and couldn't resist attending.  I headed down Friday night and settled in at Spirit Point, a camp just around the corner from Dare.  Larry the host met me at the gate and walked me to my quarters.  He and his wife Jenn are great hosts.  He was always up and always had a cup of coffee ready for you.  The facilities were beautiful.

I spent the evening with the extended Glass family.  Steve's mom Grace, his sister Julie, brother-in-law Albert, brother Jeff and wife Heather and their daughter Hannah.  Great converstation.

I've been to Dare many times but this was my first experience meeting people who were with Dare at the beginning.  Bob Davies the founder was honoured at a ceremony at the watefront.  Steve Glass, the current director and operator of the facility paid tribute not only to Bob but all the staff past and present who have contributed to the success of the program. Monique Smith our local MPP along with municipal representatives from Sundridge and South River acknowledged the contribution that the staff of Wendigo Lake have made to the region.  A ministry official (Wes) stated that the youth justice system in Ontario has been greatly affected by Project Dare.  Dare sets the standard and many ex-Dare staff work in positions at the ministry.

After an enjoyable breakfast I joined Vince Pawis for a native teaching ceremony.  Vince was impressive.  He gave us an introduction to native teachings.  He is of the Eagle Clan.  At one point he placed two eagle feet in my hands.  I looked at them and realized how they matched the impressions that John and I had found on the beach a day earlier.  Vince laughs easily and has a terrific sense of humour.  After lunch I was scheduled to do the "Flying Fox" zipline into the lake, but after listening to Vince in the morning--I changed plans and headed out to the sweat lodge.
This photo is from the internet, but our sweat lodge looked  just like it.

Vince and his helper Esra began making the sweat lodge the day before.  I arrived to find a low ribbed shelter.  It was no more than 4 feet high and about 12 feet across.  There was a hole in the centre for hot rocks.  We pulled a couple of tarps over top and fijve of us climbed in.  Albert, Julie, Vince, Karl and myself.  Vince guided us in the experience and poured cedar-water on the rocks that were delivered by Esra.  90 minutes later we emerged.  Not a moment too soon.  A very cool experience.

A delicious meal at the Wendigo Lake dining hall, including a  pig roast was the last event planned at Dare for the evening.  The evening social event took place back at Spirit Point.  I hung out with the Dare staff around a camp fire.  One gentleman from the 70's (Eugen...sp?) sang songs about sailing on Georgian Bay with Dare youth.  In the 70's Dare had a sailing program.  Friends rembered old stories and one ex-Dare client Chris, attended with his mother.  He is an impressive young man and is heading to chef school in October.

I eventually returned to the lodge and joined Steve and his family.  The highlight for me was Steve's daughter Sara playing guitar.  She played three of her original songs.  Rare and beautiful for sure.  A great evening.

In the morning I enjoyed a coffee with Steve and Larry.  As I was heading out I was greeted by Dudly the pet pig.  He wished me a safe journey.

I am always tired when I leave Dare but at the same time I find I an energized and renewed.

No comments:

Post a Comment