Sunday, December 5, 2010

Canadore Trails - Solo Hike

The weekend was winding down and adventures planned earlier didn't work out.  The first was to create an access door into my attic.  Doesn't sound like an adventure--but I'm not yet a handyman--so it was an adventure.  It was until I realized I need a carpenter.  So I'll sub-contract that adventure out.  The second attempt was a trip with John to look at a sailboat.  Bad weather moved in and our trip south was cut short at Sundridge.  Finally, with the Christmas lights up and dinner time closing in I suggested a trip to Canadore.  John headed over to grandma's to help with her tree so I headed out solo at about 4:15.
The trails are only 8 minutes from the house so I knew this would be a hike that I could squeeze in before dinner.  The temp was about -7 and the snow was falling and the wind was brisk.
 This is a hike I've done many times but never alone and never with dark approaching.  It was a peaceful walk and I really enjoyed the different scenes.  From the high-tech looking campus to the snow covered forest.
The Old Cabin 17T 0615400, 5133108
The snow was fresh but I still scrunched as I walked along.  No one else was on the trail and I found myself hearing every little sound.  The trees creaked as the wind moved them around.  A large area of deadfall seemed eerie in the approaching darkness.


The Lookout.  17T 0615194, 5132946


As I walked back from the lookoout I noticed a faint pink (dusty rose as the famous teacher Gary Meehan used to say) glow through the trees.  The distant lights from the campus were reflecting off of the falling snow.

By the time I had returned home, the Christmas lights on the house were beautiful to see.

The hike was a great way to end the weekend and to take time to reflect on how fortunate I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment