Monday, December 20, 2010

Christopher Luke Zweerman

I've been putting off writing this post because I'm still shaken and I'm not sure it belongs in the categorie of "Bernie's Weekly Adventures."  However, upon reflection, this blog is about where I go, what I do, and how I think and feel about it--so this fits.

My good friend Bernie Zweerman (along with is wife Gabe and son Brandon) lost his first boy to a tragic accident.  I can barely type those words.  I travelled to New Market on Friday to visit and attend a celebration. The funeral would be the next day.  I travelled with Patty Ann Dennis.  She's in her 70's and was the chaplain at Regina Pacis where Bernie Z and I taught together.  She said a prayer in the car for a safe journey and for comfort for Bernie and his family.  She packed a lunch for me with my own water bottle and my own bag of cashews.  You might call her a detail person, but anyone who knows her would say that's just the way she is--thoughtful.  We hadn't seen much of each other for 15 years;  the conversation rarely stopped on the way down.

Friday night was spent listening to friends and family describe CLZ.  I won't get into the details here.  He was a special person whose life--though full, ended early at 26.  A first year medical student in Australia, running for student council.  Accidents happen.  The funeral the next day was difficult for me.  Major pause.  Losing a child--too tragic to contemplate.

The point of my story is the ride home.  Patty Ann is knitting and singing Christmas carols.  She's stuffing sandwiches into me.  "Eat another Bernie."  There would be no waste--CLZ would not tolerate waste. "Eat this one--it's different."  I ate 13 sandwiches.  I commented on how extraordinary CLZ was.  For ex: in grade 8 he would summarize his study notes and sell them to other students--and give the money to charity.  At university, although he was an honours student--he won the volunteer award.  Patty Ann said, "... it's the simple things he did..."  He loved his family.  He cared about others.  He volunteered.  He donated to charity.

I can do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment