Saturday, January 24, 2015

Quiet Forest at Eau Claire

A brief but welcome mild spell was just the incentive I needed to head out to Eau Claire Gorge.  In 30 minutes I was into a beautiful dead-quiet forest.

This tiny spider was only about 3 mm long, but he stood out on the snow.  I wonder about his body chemistry.  How does he generate energy?  What does he eat?  Where does he go at -30?





I was the only hiker on the trail.  I enjoyed moving at my own pace and leaving footsteps behind.  It was peaceful but occasionally falling snow would register in my peripheral vision and I would catch the final death throes of a snow clump,  it's muffled sound startling me.

This place is fun in all four seasons, but I think my favourite season for a hike to Eau Claire Gorge is the winter.

1 comment:

  1. I've never been here before! I'll have to make a trip here the next time I'm up North.

    ReplyDelete